DIY: Felt Birdie Cake Toppers

Felt bird wedding cake topper


For those of you who might have actually read my previous posts, you'd know that Kevin and I are having cupcakes at our wedding reception rather than having one big cake.  Now even though we won't have a cake that's all fancily decorated, that doesn't mean we can't make our cupcakes pretty too! (Now we may have the bakers make us a little tiny cake so we can do the whole cake-cutting thing, but I digress.)


That's where our cake toppers come in!

Felt bird wedding cake topper


I had always planned on making our cake topper, but had originally thought of doing something simpler like this:
Some decorative paper, two skewers and you're done!
But after seeing this tutorial on Pinterest, I knew I had to give it a try.  I just printed out the template that was provided and traced/cut the pieces out of some felt I had lying around at home.  Each piece was stitched together by hand, but because the birds are so small it didn't really take all that long.  When it got to the stuffing part, I ended up sacrificing one of Kevin's crane machine stuffed animal prizes so I didn't have to make a run to the craft store.  Talk about being resourceful.

When it got to the part about the wire legs, I thought the tutorial was pretty lacking so I went in search of something that went a little more in depth.  That's when I found this one, which broke the steps down perfectly.  I embellished the lady birdie with some blue lace BEFORE I stitched all of the parts together, and then added the bead eyes, flower and veil on at the very end.  I even found some leftover ribbon to make Kevin's birdie a little bow tie :)

Felt bird wedding cake topper


Even though they may have taken me a whole afternoon to make, I think they're super cute and will be another added decorative element that fits in nicely with the theme of the day.  Kevin also suggested that we turn them into Christmas ornaments after the wedding so we can still show them off.  What a great idea!  I knew I kept him around for a reason....

 *POST UPDATE*
Now that Kevin and I are all married and got our photos back from our photographer, I figured I would include the professional photos of these birdie cake toppers in addition to my amateur ones.  Enjoy!

Felt bird wedding cake topper


Felt bird wedding cake topper


Felt bird wedding cake topper

No comments