A Tour of Our Home: a Tiny Bathroom Reveal (Before & After)

In the quest of updating our home, so far Kevin and I have revamped our master bathroom (revealed here) and given new life to our guest bedroom (read more about that here).  We've also done a decent amount of work to our living room which I'm hoping to post about very soon (which involves us installing a new chandelier, painting, and building a custom floating shelf).




Another room where we've added some charm is our downstairs bathroom.  Initially I had wondered why the previous owner never painted in here, but after giving this room a few coats of paint myself (Color: Behr "Blue Square") I can now understand why.  Excuse my French here, but painting this cramped tiny bathroom was a huge pain in the ass.  Trying to paint straight lines against grout and attempting to paint in small areas like the gap between the wall and the door frame make me never want to paint a room with this many nooks and crannies ever again.

I can't tell you how hard of a time I had picking out a color for the walls.  While part of me wanted to keep things tame and go with something lighter and more subdued, the other part of me really wanted to go bold and make a statement.  After much debate I finally decided to go the bolder route, figuring that if I'm going to stay in the neutral zone with most of the house I might as well have a little fun with color in this room.  I'm still a little hesitant on my color choice (you know what they say- you shouldn't do dark colors in a small space), but I think it works for the time being.

Ok, enough of my babbling.  Let's get to the good stuff.  Here's the "before" of our little downstairs bathroom:

tiny bathroom update before and after


tiny bathroom update before and after


Talk about a huge awkward cabinet.  What is it with this house and weird cabinets in the bathrooms?!  Yes, that is a bathroom guest book on the toilet.  And yes, it's hilarious.

tiny bathroom update before and after


And here is the after:

tiny bathroom update before and after


tiny bathroom update before and after


DIY industrial pipe shelving


tiny bathroom update before and after


tiny bathroom update before and after


tiny bathroom update before and after



tiny bathroom update before and after


The oval mirror was purchased from Kirkland's and the Mason Jar light fixture is a DIY project that will be featured in a future post.

DIY Mason Jar vanity light fixture


The other DIY project for the bathroom: these industrial-looking pipe shelves, which will also have their own post at some point.


DIY industrial pipe shelving


Currently the only art in the room is this wall hanging from World Market, though I'm hoping to add a few other pieces eventually.  The shag bath mat was also purchased from World Market.

Watching our friends and family try and read this has been hysterical.

There are, of course, a list of other things that I want to do in this room like find a new towel ring
and continue to rid this 80's house of it's honey oak by staining the cabinets a darker color.  Once we have the funds I'm planning on ripping out the vanity all together and replacing it with something that has legs and more character.  My dream would be to convert a small antique dresser into a vanity, though we'll see if I can convince the hubs.  Since the current cabinet goes all the way to the floor I'll then have an excuse to replace the tile, which in turn means that I'll have to re-paint the walls since the tile is also used as a baseboard.  Ugh.  But if it means I get a new vanity and flooring I suppose I can deal. ;-)

1 comment

  1. You made a great decision going from those cabinets to those lovely shelves overhead the toilet. Plus, that new mirror complements the blue walls well, and the new light fixture is characteristically lovelier than the previous one. You did a wonderful job in decorating that bathroom, Soden. Thanks for sharing and kudos to you!

    Sheldon Ward @ Brett Halvorson & Associates

    ReplyDelete